The Chateau
  Some Historical Details
The Chateau is one of the oldest Baronies in Burgundy. The walls in the ruined enceinte above the courtyard are 12th century or earlier. The site itself is ancient, as attested to by the Roman and medieval coins dug up in the courtyard in 1922 and 1923.

Spanning the Centuries
The building complex contains structures that date from the 12th to 19th centuries. Prevailing political and military conditions determined the nature of the building. The Chateau's current living quarters were built between 1609 and 1629 upon the foundations of a military installation had outlived its relevance. The ruins of the old donjon, or keep, atop the man-made motte overlook the living quarters, as well as the Round Tower and Chapel, both dating from the 13th and 14th centuries. When most of the original donjon collapsed in the 19th century, the masonry was used to rebuild the neighboring showplace chateau of La Rochepot.